Shredded Beef Sandwiches


Fall, to me, is the beginning of "slow cooker" season.  With all the fun pins I am seeing on Pinterest, I'm itching to get my crockpot out several times a week.  This recipe is one that my whole family enjoys!  I have adapted it from a Taste of Home recipe.  I like to make a big batch--we use half and then freeze the leftovers for another time.  The taste is slightly different than barbequed beef, and it turns out very moist and delicious.  My kids love them on homemade buns with cheese and pickles.  See here for the recipe I use for the buns.  Instead of making 12 rolls, I make about 10 buns and adjust the baking time a bit longer.  Super quick and easy, too!

Since I have been trying to cut down on my carbs (it's been taking a while to get the baby weight off!), I just ate the beef plain, and it was very satisfying. 

Here's the recipe:

Shredded Beef Sandwiches

1 12 ounce can cola
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 teaspoons reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 - 4 pound boneless beef rump roast
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 cup ketchup

Combine first eight incredients in a microwave-safe glass pitcher; set aside.  Cut roast in half.  In a nonstick skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides.  (Sometimes I skip this step to save time.)  Place meat in slow cooker.  Pour half of the cola mixture over meat.  Cover and cook on low for 8 - 10 hours or until meat is tender.  Cover and refrigerate the remaining cola mixture.  When it's done, remove meat from cooking mixture; discard liquid.  Shred meat (see my time-saving tip below!) and return to slow cooker.  Combine ketchup with remaining cola mixture.  Heat in microwave, about 45 seconds at a time, until warm.  Pour over meat and heat through.

I used to not make this very often because I hated shredding the meat.  Then I found a tip online (see here) for shredding chicken in a Kitchenaid mixer.  I thought, "I wonder if that would work for beef?"  Turns out, it does.  Just pop the hot meat into your mixer and let it run for about 10 to 5 seconds.  Note:  I shredded the meat in two increments to avoid spraying meat all over my kitchen!  Don't forget to use the plastic guard over the bowl--it greatly reduces the amount of meat that gets on your counter. 


One last note, when reheating the beef, you may want to add a bit of ketchup.  Otherwise, it does get a little dry!  Hope you enjoy this one as much as my family does!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

French Vanilla Coffee Mix

Horse Cupcake Cake

World's Best Hot Cocoa MIx