Evan and Lyla's Birthday Party (7 & 3, How Can that Be?)





It's been a couple of months since I have last posted anything. I have pictures ready, but I have not had the time to sit down and get anything typed up! With five young kids and homeschooling, I haven't had a lot of extra time. Because of that, I finally decided to combine some of my kids' birthdays to try to reduce some of the busyness. So, my seven year old and three year old got to share a family party. I told Evan that he will get to have a friend over sometime as part of his birthday celebration as well, but we still have to get that on the calendar!


Ready for the party! 



Evan, my farm boy, wanted a combine cake. I found the tutorial for this one here. It was actually fairly simple to make. However, I ended up needing more that one 9 by 13" cake to get it done. Also, I would recommend putting the bin a little farther back on the cake so that it is not putting pressure on the cab. I was trying to get everything done on Friday so that I could just relax on Saturday (the day of the party.) So, I had got the cakes done on Friday afternoon. I was preparing supper when I looked over to see that Evan's cake was slowly slumping to the right. I almost cried! Thankfully, with prayer, lots of frosting, and some additional work on Saturday, I was able to repair the cake. If you can make the space in your freezer, I would recommend putting it in the freezer until a couple of hours before party time to help make sure everything stays put! I plan to write a "cake disaster" post soon detailing how to fix a birthday cake mishap!

At any rate, Evan loved his cake, and even with the repair I thought it turned out well. I did manage to take pictures from an angle that hid the sloping area!



For Lyla, there was no question what to make: Hello Kitty! I am into cake pops right now (thanks to a cake pop maker and recipe book from my sister-in-law for Christmas.) They are so much fun. I found the tutorial for these cute pops here. Lyla was so excited about her Hello Kitty pops. However, I was sad to think that she did not have a cake that she could put a candle in for blowing out. These things are important to three year olds!


I solved that problem by making a small Hello Kitty cake using a leftover scrap for Evan's cake. I froze a small square of cake and then carved it into a Hello Kitty shape. I had enough frosting left over from Evan's cake (and the right colors) to frost it white and put on the eyes, nose, and whiskers. I made the bow out of a double layer of strawberry fruit roll-ups.


I could not resist getting this balloon from Birthday Express. I love the fact that it was almost as big as she was!

Happy Birthday to my exhuberant, loud, and bouncy little girl! I can't believe how quickly you are growing up. I pray that you will use your fire for Jesus' glory!



Happy Birthday to my big boy, my helper, and my inquisitive one. I pray that your faith will deepen in the next year, and that you will seek answers to your questions in His Word.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

French Vanilla Coffee Mix

Horse Cupcake Cake

World's Best Hot Cocoa MIx