Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls


I found this recipe on Pinterest over a year ago.  I have made it many times and have altered it just a bit, so I thought it was time to post my variations.

Though the original recipe says that these are "30 Minute Rolls," it takes me slightly longer than that to have these ready.  That being said, they are fast.  I have often found myself (at 5:00 PM) deciding to make these to go along with supper that evening.  They are one of my kids favorites, and they freeze great, too (if you have any leftovers.)  We have even used them as buns for hamburgers or hot ham and cheese.

Here's the recipe:

Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls

2 1/4 cup warm water
2/3 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup yeast
1/2 cup sugar
1 T. salt
2 eggs, slightly beaten
4 1/2 cups all purpose flour, divided
3 cups whole wheat flour

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Combine water, butter, yeast, and sugar in mixer bowl and allow to proof for 15 minutes.  Add remaining ingredients except for 1/2 cup of all purpose flour.  Knead with dough hook for 2-3 minutes, incorporating additional flour if needed.  (I always add all the flour if not a little more.)

Using hands greased with cooking spray and additional flour, shape dough into 24 balls and place in two greased 9 by 13 inch pans.  Cover and let rise for 12 minutes.  Place in oven and bake for about 12 minutes or until golden brown.  Rub a stick of butter over the top of the rolls for a delicious, buttery glaze.

Note:  Just halve the recipe if you don't want to make 24 rolls.  For my family, 12 rolls would not last long!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

French Vanilla Coffee Mix

Horse Cupcake Cake

World's Best Hot Cocoa MIx