Creamy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes



So I kept seeing recipes on Pinterest using an Instant Pot.  I thought I didn't need one.  But, finally, this Christmas, I got one.  And. . . I love it!  I use it almost every day, and I'm wondering how I ever did without it.

If you are like some people that I know, you may have an Instant Pot sitting in your closet because you are intimidated to use it.  My advice--don't be!  Just pop that thing out and get cooking!  An easy recipe to start with would be hard boiled eggs.

One of the reasons I wanted the Instant Pot was because my friend Keara told me how easy mashed potatoes were to make in it.  My kiddos love mashed potatoes, and I make them fairly often.  However, I really dislike having the potatoes boiling on the stove and then having to drain them with little ones at my feet.  Enter the Instant Pot, and mashed potatoes are on the menu a lot more at our house!  Happy Mommy and happy kids!  Plus, you can make them an hour or so ahead, put the Instant Pot on "Keep Warm," and have the potatoes ready when the rest of your meal is.

I have been using my Instant Pot so much that my husband once jokingly asked if it would clean his boots.  I told him to use the "boot" setting!  At any rate, I made these mashed potatoes this morning (probably at least the fifth time since getting my Instant Pot), and I wanted to share the recipe.

Note:  this recipe is for the 8 quart capacity Instant Pot.  You may want to scale back slightly for the 6 quart size.  Also, my family likes really creamy mashed potatoes.  If you want yours thicker, just scale back a little on the milk.

Creamy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes (Adapted from this recipe)

5 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 1/2 cups plus 1/8 cup water
1 stick butter, divided
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 ounces cream cheese
1 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
1 1/4 cups milk, warmed

Place potatoes, water, and 6 tablespoons butter in your Instant Pot crock.  Put lid on and set to manual for 6 minutes.  Once it is done cooking, do a quick release of the pressure and remove the lid.  (I like to put the milk in the microwave at this time to warm so it will be ready when I need it.)  Add salt, pepper and cream cheese, and mix with a hand mixer or potato masher.  Add sour cream and continue to mix.  Add milk, about a half cup at a time, until desired creaminess is reached.  Place remaining two tablespoons butter on top (this is optional, but I love the way that the melted butter looks on top!)  Place lid back on and keep the Instant Pot on "Keep Warm" until ready to eat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

French Vanilla Coffee Mix

Horse Cupcake Cake

World's Best Hot Cocoa MIx