Kopykat Krispy Kreme Donuts


This post is not going to provide you with step-by-step instructions on how to make donuts.  Rather, it's a celebration that the kids and I made them, and it was a big success.  I'll try to provide a few helpful hints, though.

I had told the kids that if they did really well during school, we would take a Friday morning and make donuts together.  The kids were fascinated at the idea.  Well, a couple of weeks ago, I decided that we were going to do it.

I found the recipe here on Pinterest,  During the week, I read through the recipe several times.  I was a little nervous because I had never made donuts before,  I wanted it to be a fun project with the kids instead of getting too long and tedious.  Also, I don't own a deep fat fryer.

I was able to get up early to mix the dough.  I added about a cup extra of flour because the dough seemed so sticky.  We were able to get breakfast eaten while the dough rose the first time. 

The dough rolled out fairly easily, and the kids had a great time cutting out the donuts.  We used the second rising time to clean up the kitchen, heat oil, and make the glazes.

I ended up using a large saucepan on the stovetop to fry the donuts.  I used a candy thermometer to keep track of temperature.  This was a little tricky, and I did end up getting one batch too done.  Nonetheless, I am not going to go buy a deep fat fryer to use for the once-a-year donut-making party at our house,

We made a batch and a half of the creamy glaze recipe (link above).  We poured a third of the glaze (one half batch) into a second bowl and added about one-half cup of melted semi-sweet chocolate chips.  We dipped all the donuts in the plain glaze.  I frosted around half of the donuts with the chocolate glaze.  Of course, the kids had to add lots of sprinkles!

I had prayed that the donut project would go smoothly, and God answered my prayers.  Even though Grant would not lay down for a nap and spent most of the morning in the front pack, the donuts worked out great.  The only comment my husband made was that I should have made them all chocolate.

The day was a fun memory for me and, hopefully, my kids.  For that I am very thankful! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

French Vanilla Coffee Mix

Horse Cupcake Cake

World's Best Hot Cocoa MIx