Sewing with Sarah


I have always enjoyed learning new things from other women.  When I was little, it seemed like my Great Aunt Connie was usually working on something crafty when she and Great Uncle Keith would come visit.  Under Connie's tutelage, I learned how to do counted cross-stitch and latch hook.  I would sit beside her and watch her hands busily move over a project.  Noticing my interest, she would take the time to show me how to do it, too.

When I got married, I got to know Matt's Aunt Sarah, who introduced me to the joy of quilting.  Over the years, she has helped me with many tips and helpful advice.  When Matt and I have visited her in Salina, she and I have laid out many a quilt design on her ping pong table downstairs.

So, when she offered to come out to sew during a recent visit, I jumped at the chance.  I had cut the squares and laid out the pattern of a baby quilt recently, so it was a great morning project for us.

Lyla was anxious to help, and she did a great job cutting apart the squares that we had chain pieced together.  (One of the first tips that Sarah gave me on quilting was how to chain piece.)  Lyla was so excited to be a helper (reminds me a little bit of me years ago with Great Aunt Connie!)


Anyway, we got the quilt put together in about an hour--sewing does always go so much faster with two.  I still need to sew around the edges and then get the quilt to my mother-in-law Lois to clip.  I'll be sure to post an update of the finished project!

Incidentally, if you live in the Western Kansas area, be sure to check out the Quilt Cabin in Colby.  They have a great selection of fabric and lots of quilt kits.

Want instructions for making a rag quilt?  See here.  The quilt above is uses 7 inch squares and is 8 blocks wide by 10 rows long.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

French Vanilla Coffee Mix

Horse Cupcake Cake

World's Best Hot Cocoa MIx