Easy Pecan Pie


So, my three year old and one year old are napping.  My other three are downstairs watching a movie.  I should be folding laundry, but I wanted to get this post up.  It has been forever since I have added anything to my blog, and I decided that it was time!

One of the reasons that I haven't posted anything for a while is because we have been busy working on a project.  My kids love to make pies, and we had been talking about the idea of selling pies around Thanksgiving.  So, we decided to give it a try this year.  We have a young man from our church who is currently in Kolkata, India, doing mission work.  He left this August and will be staying there for three years.  We decided to donate our proceeds to supporting him.

We spread the word through our church and through facebook, and this Tuesday we delivered the last of our 65 pie orders!  I was so proud of my kids' hard work and determination.

When we first started this project, we sold Apple, County Fair, and Pumpkin pies.  About two weeks before we stopped taking orders, we added Pecan to the list.  I found a recipe that I wanted to try out and sent a test pie home with a friend (she loves pecan pie!), and it got rave reviews!

If you are looking for a pretty pecan pie, this is not the one for you.  Several of mine have cracked after they baked, and it doesn't cut cleanly.  But, if you are looking for one delicious pie, make this one.  As a bonus, it does not contain corn syrup.

My three year old Lyla would help me mix up this pie.  We could get three in the oven pretty quickly (probably 15 minutes or less), and she was so excited to be helping with our pie project!

Here's the recipe (adapted from allrecipes.com)

Easy Pecan Pie:

1 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans

First, make a half recipe of Aunt Joyce's Pie Crust (use 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup canola oil, and 1/4 cup water).  Place in pie pan, flute the edges, and put the crust in the freezer while you make the filling.  (I often would leave the crust overnight and then make the filling the next morning.)  You could also use a store bought pie crust if you really want to make this easy!

Place a baking sheet in the oven and preheat to 400 degrees.

In a mixing bowl,  beat two eggs with a hand mixer until bubbly.  Add butter and blend until incorporated. Mix in sugars and flour until well-blended; next, add the vanilla and milk.  Add pecans and mix one more time.

Retrieve your crust from the freezer, and pour  the filling into it.  Place on heated baking sheet in oven.  Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.  Then, reduce heat to 325 and bake approximately 40 minutes more or until golden brown.

Remove baking sheet from oven with pie on it and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.

PS--Don't feel bad if it cracks; several of ours did!  They still tasted great, especially warm with a big scoop of ice cream on top!

Have a great Thanksgiving!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

French Vanilla Coffee Mix

Horse Cupcake Cake

World's Best Hot Cocoa MIx