County Fair Pie


My good friend, Tanna, and her husband are adopting a little girl from Russia.  The way they have opened their hearts to this precious child has been quite an inspiration for me.  What does this have to do wtih pie, you ask?  Well, international adoption costs a lot of money, and my friends are in the midst of raising funds.  Naturally our Mom's group wanted to help.  So, we will be hosting a bake sale fundraiser in a week.  Since it's during the Wallace County Fair, I thought it was only appropriate to make County Fair Pie to sell.  I am not a person who likes fruit pie, so this pie is right up my alley--it basically tastes like a chocolate chip cookie inside a pie crust!  It is also a fairly easy recipe that comes together quickly.  With a new baby in the house, I need that kind of simplicity!

I found the recipe in my Best of Taste of Home's First 10 years cookbook.  I have found many favorite recipes in this book.

Here's the recipe for one 9 inch pie:

County Fair Pie

1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (I use pecans instead)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup butterscotch chips
1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)

In a mixing bowl, beat the butter, sugar, flour, eggs, and vanilla until well blended.  Stir in nuts and chips.  Pour into pie shell.  Bake at 325 degrees for one hour or until golden brown.  Cool on a wire rack.


For the bake sale, I purchased three 8 inch aluminum pie pans.  I made a 1 1/2  recipe of Aunt Joyce's Pie Crust and made the crusts for the pies.  It helps to place the crust in the freezer for about an hour before filling.  This helps the crust not to slump down.





Stirring the chips and nuts into the filling!



I made a double recipe of the filling for three 8 inch pies.  Looking good already!


To bake, I put the pies on baking pans to help stablilize them.  I rotated them from top to bottom racks in the oven at 30 minutes.  The one that was on the bottom at the end needed a few more minutes to get brown enough.

I put press and seal over the top of the pie and placed it in a freezer bag with a label.  Then I popped them into the freezer to be ready for the bake sale next week.
Considering the amount of yumminess in this pie, I think that I will suggest a donation of $10 a piece for the pies. 

Hopefully we can raise lots of money for this worthy cause!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

French Vanilla Coffee Mix

Horse Cupcake Cake

World's Best Hot Cocoa MIx