Cooking Hamburger in the Crockpot


So, I'm always looking for new ways to use my crock pot to make things easier for me.  Usually, if I want to cook hamburger, I will do it in my microwave.  However, I can only cook 2 pounds at a time.  As our family has grown and the kids get older, I have been trying to make large quantities of my recipes and then freeze half for later.  Also, 2 pounds of meat doesn't go as far as it used to!

As I was getting ready to cook 6 pounds of hamburger for a triple batch of chili, I thought, "I wonder if I can do this in my crock pot?"  I did a search to see if any other bloggers had done it, and it turns out they had!

I have done this several times now for tacos, soups, and more.

Here's what I do:

Place meat in crock pot.  (I usually thaw a bit in the microwave, but it can be partly frozen.)  Add 1/2 cup water and cook on high for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.  I have a chopper that I use to break up my meat.  Every now and again, I go by and chop up the meat a little.  (Note:  I haven't tried this yet, but 6 - 7 hours on low should work as well.)

When the meat is done, drain it in a colander in your sink and rinse well with hot water.

I have cooked six pounds in my large oval crock pot and four pounds in my smaller crock pot (pictured above.)

Looking for a spaghetti sauce to put your meat into?

Slow Cooker Spaghetti Sauce

Want tacos tonight?  Combine your meat homemade taco seasoning and some water and put it back in your crock pot on low.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

French Vanilla Coffee Mix

Horse Cupcake Cake

World's Best Hot Cocoa MIx