French Toast Bake



This is one of my son's favorite breakfasts!  Since is has a caramel sauce on the bottom, he has always called it "Jelly French Toast."  If I ask him what he would like for breakfast, that is usually his request. 

I have been wanting to post this recipe for quite a while.  However, my pictures have not turned out so great.  So this morning I finally got one that we thought was decent.  

For this recipe, you do need to plan ahead since it needs to refrigerate overnight.  It comes together in a flash, though.  It's also a great way to use up your bread that has gotten a bit too stale for sandwiches.  Sometime I hope to make it using some homemade French bread.  (I'll update when I do!)

French Toast Bake (From Recipes and Memories--Sharon Springs Wesleyan Church Cookbook, recipe submitted by Carmen Selzer)

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 teaspoons light corn syrup
12 slices sandwich bread
Cinnamon
6 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)

In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup.  Cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring constantly (here is a great way to involve the kids--Maddie stirred this for me while Evan and I prepared the rest of the ingredients.)  Spray a 9 by 13 inch pan with nonstick spray and pour syrup on the bottom.  Place 6 slices of bread on top.  Sprinkle with cinnamon and top with the remaining slices of bread.  Combine eggs, milk, vanilla and salt if desired.  Pour egg mixture over bread.  Cover and chill at least 8 hours or overnight.  Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until lightly browned.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

French Vanilla Coffee Mix

Horse Cupcake Cake

World's Best Hot Cocoa MIx