Apple Pie Pockets


We are getting ready to make some harvest meals next week, which means that everything needs to be able to be eaten with one hand while operating machinery. One of my husband's favorite desserts is apple pie, so I wanted to make apple pie that could be eaten on the go.

I combined a couple of recipes that I found on the web to come up with these tasty little treats. Here's the recipe:

Apple Pie Pockets

1 recipe Aunt Joyce's Pie Crust
2 1/2 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled and finely chopped
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon flour
Approximately 2 tablespoons butter
1 egg white, beaten
2 tablespoons water
cinnamon sugar

While you are waiting for the oil and water to cool for the pie crust, mix sugar, spices, and flour together in a bowl. Add apples and mix well.

Roll out dough between wax paper and cut out circles of dough. I used a plastic container that was nearly five inches in diameter to cut mine out.   I put the scraps together and re-rolled the dough once to get a total of 12 circles.

Place circles on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. (This makes clean up so much easier!)

Place a small amount of apples on each circle of dough. Cut butter into twelve equal pieces and place one on top of each pie. Carefully fold the crust in half over the top of the apples and seal the edges with your finger. Flute the edges with a fork if desired.

Combine the egg and water in a bowl. Brush the top with the beaten egg wash and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Cut two slits in the top of each pocket to allow steam to escape.

Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown.  Let rest for a few minutes on the cookie sheet before removing to wire rack to cool completely.

My husband said the filling was a little "drier" than regular apple pie filling. I think this is because I didn't use as much butter as I would with an apple pie. I didn't want the filling to be too moist, though, or the pockets would get soggy and would not be able to be eaten on the run. There is also more sugar in this filling that a typical pie fillinge, which could contribute to the dryness. I may cut the sugar a little bit next time. I'll keep playing with the recipe and update you with any changes.

All in all, I would say this recipe was a success. We had these last night when we had some friends over, and they passed the hand-held test. I'll be making them for harvest.

We are in the middle of a bad drought here in Wallace County. The wheat does not look too favorable. It is really hard to see a chance for rain on the weather and have it continually pass us by! I have been praying this Scripture:

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
--2 Chronicles 7:14

In the meantime, we will continue to choose to trust God to provide.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

French Vanilla Coffee Mix

Horse Cupcake Cake

World's Best Hot Cocoa MIx