Easy Skirt & Matching Appliqued T-shirt



Okay, I'll admit it.  I do not sew to save money.  I sew because I enjoy it, and I don't mind spending some money on my hobby.  However, I actually ended up with a thrifty project, so I had to share it.

I found some material on sale at Walmart for $1.00 a yard.  I love brown with the blue, so I had to have it.  I decided to make skirts for my girls using this Simple Skirt Tutorial.  Before finding this tutorial on a friend's blog, I had not made skirts before, but now I have become almost addicted to it.  (Thanks for the link, Kathy!)

I discovered some matching blue t-shirts at Walmart, and I decided to spruce them up a little bit.  First, I folded the t-shirt and ironed it to find the middle.  I did not intend on centering my pattern, but I wanted to have an idea of where it was on the shirt.  I aimed for somewhere in the lower left quadrant of the shirt.


I applied Wonder Under to the back side of the fabric and cut out three flowers.  I cut a little past the white of the flower so that the white would still show after I finished appliqueing.  I ironed the flowers onto the shirt so that I could make them into a bouquet.  I also starched and ironed the area where I would be appliqueing to help give the fabric some stiffness.  Then I placed fray check around the edges of the flowers.  This also helps to give a little extra stiffness and prevent future fraying. 


I placed tear-away stabilizer behind the flowers and pinned it in place.  (I found out that there is iron-on tear away stabilizer. I ordered some to try the next time I attempt this kind of project.)

 Then I appliqued around the flowers with a 2.5 width zig-zag stitch at a .2 stitch length.


I used a disppearing ink marker to mark where I wanted the stems to go.  Then I used a short straight stitch to add "stems" to the flowers and sewed a bow over the stems.  I placed fray check on the ends of the ribbon.
 

I was a little nervous about appliqueing on the knit fabric.  I did not want it to stretch and look bad.  I found that if I used the stabilizer underneath to manuever the fabric instead of pulling on the fabric itself, it worked pretty well.  I liked being able to add a little "something" to the t-shirt to pull the outfit together.

So, the skirts cost me about a dollar a piece.  The shirts were less than four dollars.  So, I was able to dress all three of my girls for about $15.  Maybe I'm a little thrifty after all!


I had fun this one, and that's something worth smiling about!  Hope you enjoy this project, too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

French Vanilla Coffee Mix

Horse Cupcake Cake

World's Best Hot Cocoa MIx