Guess Whoo? Pillowcase Dress


I saw a similar dress to this on pinterest, and I just had to make one for my niece, Abby, who turned one this month.  I love the pink and green together!

For instructions on fabricating a pillowcase dress, see here.  With this dress, I did a few things differently.  I usually put a contrasting border at the bottom of my dress.  Instead, I made the casing at the top using the pink material.  Add 1/2 inch what you want the finished size of the casing to be and sew with 1/4 inch seam to your main fabric.  After finishing the sleeve holes, I folded the top down 1/4 inch farther than the finished seam on the front.  Then I topstitched on the front of the dress right along the seam joining the pink and green fabrics together. 

For the owl applique, I used cardstock to draw the pattern I wanted.  See here for my details on my applique technique.

The tie is made of fabric.  I cut two 2 1/2 inch strips of pink fabric from selvedge to selvedge.  I cut off the selvege and sewed the two strips together.  I cut this strip 1 1/2 yards long.  Then I folded the strip lengthwise with right sides together and sewed along the edge and one end.  Next, I turned it right side out, pressed it, and finished the raw edge. 

I think I could have made the tie a bit wider, maybe 1 1/2 inches finished.  I'm used to working with ribbon which is a bit stiffer. 

I'm anxious to see this on my niece Abby and will hopefully get a picture of her to update this post soon!  Until then, happy sewing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

French Vanilla Coffee Mix

Horse Cupcake Cake

World's Best Hot Cocoa MIx