Homemade Pizza

There's nothing like homemade pizza!  You can add exactly what ingredients you want--fewer complaints in my family, for sure!  I make my dough in the bread machine.  Thought you might enjoy the recipe:

Herbed Whole Wheat Pizza Dough (2 lb. recipe from Better Homes and Garden Best Bread Machine Recipes)

1 1/3 cups water
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 2/3 cups bread blour (I just use all purpose)
1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano, and marjoram
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast or bread machine yeast

Place ingredients in bread machine pan in order recommended by manufacturer.  Select "dough" menu option.  Check after five minutes of kneading; add 1 teaspoon flour or water if needed.  When cycle is complete, remove dough and punch down.  Cover and let rest 10 minutes. 

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Divide dough between two greased pizza pans.  I use a 12.5 inch diameter metal pan and a 14.5 inch diameter pizza stone.

Roll out the dough, building up edges slightly to hold toppings. 
Prick dough with fork.
Let's face it, I am a gadget girl.  I love my kitchen tools!  For rolling out the dough, I recommend this clever little contraption by Pampered Chef.
Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.  I use this time to assemble my toppings.
Spread with pizza sauce.  You can grab a jar from the pantry or make your own.  Click here to get my favorite pizza sauce recipe. 
Add toppings and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.  I like to use maple sausage.   I was out of Canadian bacon, or I would have put some of that on, too.  My family is not really into veggies on pizza, so I skip all of those!
Finally, sprinkle with Mozzarella cheese.  While I would prefer to use two cups per pizza, I try to get by with two to three cups total to cut back a little on our calories.  It also browns up a little nicer!  At this point, I'm told you can wrap your pizzas up and put them in the freezer.  To bake, thaw in fridge overnight and follow baking instructions listed below.  Then you have a pizza in the freezer ready to go!  I have never tried it, but the thought intrigues me.
Return pizzas to the oven.   I put whichever pizza I had on the top rack for the first baking session onto the bottom rack this time and vice versa.  Bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until edge of crust is golden brown and topping is bubbly.  Let stand a few minutes before cutting.  Enjoy!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

French Vanilla Coffee Mix

Horse Cupcake Cake

World's Best Hot Cocoa MIx