Stromboli


Consequently, when I made Stromboli the other day, I decided to take new pictures and waste no time getting them posted.  I make this at least once for supper during the harvest season because it is so good and easy to eat while driving machinery.  Stromboli is a great, easy meal that you can customize to your family's tastes.  I put pepperoni on one half for my spice-loving little guy, and ham on the other half for my girls.  Feel free to experiment with your favorite pizza toppings on this one!

Here's the recipe:

Stromboli

1 loaf frozen bread dough, thawed (or use your favorite bread dough recipe.  I like this one!)
Olive oil
Oregano
Your favorite toppings--I use sausage, pepperoni, Canadian bacon or ham, etc.
Mozzarella cheese
Parmesan cheese

Roll dough out very thin on a floured surface.  If you like to make your own dough, you have got to check out the recipe for quick bread dough by Something Swanky.  It is ready to go in about 20 minutes, and it rolls out perfectly.  Check out the link to the recipe in above.  The only change I made was to use 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour instead of 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour.

Anyway, like I said, roll your dough very thin on a floured surface so that it doesn't stick; probably about a 20 by 15 inch rectangle.  (I divided my dough into two parts and made two Stromboli.)  Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with oregano.  Add toppings.  Be careful not to get too crazy with the toppings or your Stromboli will not bake well.  Starting with a long side, roll up as tightly as possible.  Seal the ends and place, seam side down, on a greased baking sheet.  (I like to use a baking stone for this.)  Brush the top with olive oil.

Bake at 350 degrees for twenty to thirty minutes or until done.  You can rub a stick of butter over the top of the Stromboli before cutting into slices if you like!

Enjoy!

Tip:  You can also freeze this for a quick meal later.  After rolling up your Stromboli, place on a baking sheet that is covered with waxed paper.  Freeze for an hour or two, then wrap with up tightly with cling wrap (or Glad Press and Seal--I love that stuff!) and foil.  When ready to bake, place on greased baking sheet and put in cold oven.  Turn to 350 degrees and bake approximately 40 minutes or until done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

French Vanilla Coffee Mix

Horse Cupcake Cake

World's Best Hot Cocoa MIx