Biscuits and Gravy Casserole


My oldest daughter ran cross country this year, and every Friday one of the moms would provide breakfast after their early-morning practice.  One Friday, she told me that they had a biscuit and gravy casserole that was so good that I had to get the recipe.  I did, and I also looked up several variations on Pinterest.  Here is my version.

Biscuits and Gravy Casserole:  (adapted from this recipe)

2 cans refrigerated biscuits
12 pre-cooked sausage links, halved and chopped (or you can use 1 pound sausage, cooked and drained)
2 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon pepper
salt to taste (I find that with using the pre-cooked links that I don't need any.)
1 -2 tablespoons butter, melted

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Spray a 9 by 13 inch pan with cooking spray.  Press one can of biscuits into the bottom of the pan and bake about 8 minutes or until browned.  Meanwhile, whisk milk with flour and seasonings.  Place mixture and sausage into a large skillet and heat on medium-high heat until thickened.  This will take about 5 minutes or so.  When biscuit crust is baked, remove from oven and pour gravy over the top.  Then cut or tear the remaining biscuits into fourths and drop on top of gravy.  Bake an additional 12 minutes or until nicely browned.  Brush with melted butter.

Tip:  To speed the process of making this in the morning, sometimes I will bake the biscuit crust the night before, cool, and cover with Press'n seal wrap until the next morning. Then I just make my gravy, add the biscuits on top, and get it in the oven.

Hope you enjoy this casserole as much as my family does.  I finally ordered a larger pan so that I can make a double batch, because one batch doesn't last long!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

French Vanilla Coffee Mix

Horse Cupcake Cake

World's Best Hot Cocoa MIx