Our Favorite Cinnamon Rolls


I have made these cinnamon rolls more times than I can count!  I have combined a couple of recipes and modified them slightly, so I decided to post my techniques all in one place.  The recipe I use for the rolls is actually from a raspberry sweet roll recipe that I found on Pinterest.  I have actually made the entire recipe, and it is really good.  The recipe for the frosting is from a post for 30 minute cinnamon knots.  However, I double the recipe because we like a little bit of cinnamon roll with our frosting!  I highly recommned making the cinnamon knot recipe with kids--it's quick, easy, and fun.  (It is also messy, so make these before you plan to mop your kitchen floor! Also, plan for the process to take longer than 30 minutes!  ☺)  Here's my recipe!

Our Favorite Cinnamon Rolls (adapted from this recipe)

2 cups whole milk (2% works, too)

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup sugar

1 teaspoon salt

4 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast 

7  cups all-purpose flour

2 eggs, lightly beaten

Filling:

2 cups brown sugar

1/4 cup cinnamon

1/2 cup butter, very soft

Frosting (adapted from this recipe):

4 cups powdered sugar

1/4 to 1/2 cup half and half

1/4 cup butter, melted

2 teaspoons vanilla

Place milk in a microwave safe pitcher or bowl.  Cut butter into chunks and add in with the milk.  Microwave on high 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until the mixture is about 115 degrees.  (I use a candy thermometer to check the temperature.  Make sure it is above 110 degrees but below 120.)  Meanwhile, combine yeast, sugar, flour, and salt in large mixer bowl.  When milk mixture is ready, add to the flour mixture along with the eggs.  Knead, using a dough hook and stand mixer (I love my Kitchenaid mixer!)  at medium speed for 3-4 minutes or until a soft dough forms.  Add a bit more flour if the dough is too sticky, and add a bit more water if the dough is too firm as the dough is kneading (about a tablespoon at a time.)

Spray non-stick cooking spray on a silicone mat or on your counter, and place dough on top.  Cover with a towel and let rest for 10 minutes.

While dough rests, mix brown sugar with cinnamon until well combined.  Also spray two 9 by 13 inch pans with non-stick spray.

When dough is ready to work with, roll into a large rectangle approximately 30 inches by 20 inches.  Spread butter evenly over the dough and then spread the brown sugar mixture over the top.  (I have to use my hands for this!)  Starting on a long side, gently roll the dough up.  Cut into 24 rolls.  I like to use thread to do this--it makes a really clean cut.  Here's a video of the process using dental floss.  I prefer thread, however, because I find that the floss tends to fray on me.

Place rolls into prepared pans.  Turn oven on to 350 degrees, place the pans on top of the stove, and cover with towels.  Let rise about 45 minutes or until doubled in size.  Bake 18-20 minutes or until rolls are browned.  Place wire racks to cool.

While rolls are baking, place frosting ingredients in a medium bowl and use a hand mixer to beat the ingredients until well combined.  Start with 1/4 cup half and half and add until its your desired consistency. Add a little half and half if the consistency is too thick; add a little more powdered sugar if it's too thin.

Frost the rolls after they have cooled for about five minutes.

Enjoy!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

French Vanilla Coffee Mix

Horse Cupcake Cake

World's Best Hot Cocoa MIx